pspp-dev

Re: "internal" variables?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: "internal" variables?
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:22:39 +0800

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 09:13:07PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > I wondered if allowing a special class of (struct variable) which does
     > not have any associated dictionary would be a sensible idea?

     Already exists.  Just call var_create().

     > These kind of variables would be very sparse, containing only a
     > width, and a case_idx.

     The case_idx isn't really there conceptually, because currently
     it's thought of as part of the dictionary and just stored in the
     variable for convenience.  But you can put it there with
     var_set_vardict(); despite the stern warning in vardict.h that
     "This header file should only be included by variable.c and
     dictionary.c," there is nothing actually enforcing it (if I
     recall correctly).

You're right.  Perhaps then we can put a convenience function in
data/variables.h to wrap the most common usage?

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3