pspp-dev

Re: build trouble

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: build trouble
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:37:28 -0700

> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 11:13:11AM -0400, Jason Stover wrote:
>
>      On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:32:16PM -0700, Guido Benvenuto Gay wrote:
>      >
>      > It seems that my problems dissapeared just shutting down Slackware
> 13.0 and
>      > rebooting.
>
>      It seems Ben's suggestion was right: config.log was full of linker
>      errors when trying to link to libgsl and libgslcblas. The problem was
>      that GSL's 'make install' did not run ldconfig to record the paths to
>      the GSL libs in /etc/ld.so.cache. That's why rebooting worked: The
>      system runs ldconfig during the boot process.
>
> Then I don't understand why the line:
>
>  AC_SEARCH_LIBS([gsl_cdf_binomial_P], [gsl],,[PSPP_REQUIRED_PREREQ([libgsl
> (version 1.8 or later)])])
>
> doesn't produce an error.

Maybe I mis-characterized the problem.  At least in Guido's case,
linking against GSL worked fine.  But trying to *run* any binary
that linked against GSL failed, with an error from the dynamic
linker.  I don't think that Autoconf checks for this by default;
perhaps we should add a test that the linked binaries can also be
run, at least when not cross-compiling.
--
"Writing is easy.
 All you do is sit in front of a typewriter and open a vein."