pspp-dev

Re: makefile rule for running msgmerge

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: makefile rule for running msgmerge
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 11:14:30 +0000

It looks as if you are correct.  Can you suggest a better rule which
will do the job?

'
On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 08:31:04PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     The rule in po/automake.mk for running msgmerge looks like this:

         $(POFILES): $(POTFILE)
                 $(MSGMERGE) $(top_srcdir)/$* $< -o $@

     I don't think this makes sense.  This expands to:

         po/en_GB.po po/nl.po po/pt_BR.po: po/pspp.pot
                 $(MSGMERGE) $(top_srcdir)/$* $< -o $@

     which is an explicit rule, not an implicit rule.  According to
     the GNU make manual, $* expands like this in an explicit rule:

          In an explicit rule, there is no stem; so `$*' cannot be determined
          in that way.  Instead, if the target name ends with a recognized
          suffix (*note Old-Fashioned Suffix Rules: Suffix Rules.), `$*' is
          set to the target name minus the suffix.  For example, if the
          target name is `foo.c', then `$*' is set to `foo', since `.c' is a
          suffix.  GNU `make' does this bizarre thing only for compatibility
          with other implementations of `make'.  You should generally avoid
          using `$*' except in implicit rules or static pattern rules.

          If the target name in an explicit rule does not end with a
          recognized suffix, `$*' is set to the empty string for that rule.

     so $* will either be something like po/en_GB or even the empty
     string here.  I've seen the former in some runs; I'm not sure
     I've seen the latter.  But neither one makes sense to me.

     Also, POSIX says $< and $@ are defined only for implicit rules,
     but I don't think that's the problem, since I think I've seen
     problems here even with GNU make.
     --
     Regarding a Microsoft/Xerox agreement:
        "This is a match made in heaven.