pspp-dev

Re: [pre-lexer-2 1/4] command: Factor command name matching out of comma

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [pre-lexer-2 1/4] command: Factor command name matching out of command.c.
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 06:28:17 +0000

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:23:48PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     libunistring uses uint8_t (unsigned char) for UTF-8.  That's the
     same as what PSPP uses currently for "union value".  I'm inclined
     to do this:

             * Use uint8_t for UTF-8, via libunistring.

             * Use char for multibyte strings in the current locale.

             * Change "union value" to use signed char, in place of
               its current use of unsigned char.

     Then we'll be able to cleanly distinguish each of these types
     (char vs. unsigned char vs. signed char) and get some help from
     the compiler.

How is "char" different from "signed char" ?  The compiler automatically
assumes a type is signed if no qualifier is specified.

Also, the Gtk/Glib functions use plain char for UTF8 strings, so we would need
a lot of casts between the two in the gui code.  If libuistring has decided to
use the convention the other way around, that is unfortunate.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3