pspp-dev

Re: app icon ideas

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: app icon ideas
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 04:51:53 +0000

I like the look of it.

One criticism however: It doesn't IMO convey a particularly good idea of what
PSPP does.  Looking at that, I think "pie charts" which PSPP certainly can do,
but is not the primary usage of it.  Perhaps if a Sigma was dropped in to it
somewhere, then people would associate it with statistical analysis.

On the other hand I like the simplicity of what you've produced.  Would you
like to have a go at doing a complete icon set for PSPP?  That would mean:

1. Redoing the existing toolbar, and treeview entry icons in a style which
   matches what you have there.

2. Creating "document icons" for .sav, .por and syntax files.

3. Toolbar and application icons need to be produces at various sizes: 16x16,
22x22, 24x24, 32x32 and 64x64 are commonly used. Simply scaling an icon doesn't
work well - that's how the current 16x16 application icon was produced and it
looks horrible.  But a .svg file ought to be included too.

4. Ideally, a "high contrast" set should also be done - simple black on white
with very distinct sillouettes for people with visual impairments.

In case you haven't seen them already, here are some docs to read:

http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.0/icons.html.en

http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines

Graphic design is hard!

J'