pspp-dev

Fwd: Two missing PSPP behaviors compared to SPSS

From: Jeremy Lavergne
Subject: Fwd: Two missing PSPP behaviors compared to SPSS
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:54:44 -0400

Gentlemen, here's an email I received this weekend highlighting differences
between expected and experienced functionality across several facets of PSPP.

From: "C.T." <address@hidden>

While dealing with a data issue, I noticed that PSPP didn't output any error,
whereas SPSS did. Attached are screenshots comparison between them.

 Second behavior missing: in SPSS in the variable view, a double-click on the
tab right in front of the line describing a data format, this brings us in the
corresponding column and highlight it. In PSPP, there's no highlight, which is
a bit awkward when you have to deal with a large number of columns.

Plus, SPSS seems to waste less vertical and horizontal space, by choosing a
smaller font. I think PSPP could do it better by reducing margins around
values. Also, columns could be made to fit the largest string in it, so as to
avoid both wasting space and cutting off variable names
Attached is a mockup: cell row 35, column INATT_MG is still readable while
taking much less space than neighboring cells.

Finally, will PSPP be able to export its own viewer files? There's loss of
index when dumping window content to ODT. Alternatively, the ODT export module
could include an entry table with hyperlinks so as to easily navigate the tens
of pages of raw output,

Let me know,
Pat

PNG image