pspp-dev

Re: Options to cairo driver

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Options to cairo driver
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:55:11 +0000

I think I understand what you're saying now.
You're suggesting that we add the string_map as a member of the output
viewer object?   Yes I think that will work.

J'

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 11:22:36AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     [adding pspp-dev back, assuming it was just dropped accidentally]

     > On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:13:30AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     >
     >      I don't understand the problem yet.  If we pass a particular set
     >      of options to a driver, then we'll get a particular
     >      configuration.  If we need to change one option, then we can do
     >      that by updating the set of options slightly (just changing the
     >      one value) and then handing the driver the updated set of
     >      options.
     >
     > This sounds perfectly reasonable.
     >
     >  The default values should default the same way they did
     >      on the first try, right?
     >
     > This doesn't sound so good.  I don't want them to default.  I want them
     > to remain in their current state.
     >

     > For the current problem, I need a function, to be called in
     > psppire-output-window.c (expose_event_callback) which sets the
     > font and the foreground colour (perhaps a few other things too)
     > but leaves the rest of the options in their current state.
     > This doesn't seem possible at the moment without changing code
     > in quote a lot of places or by circumventing the interface to
     > the cairo xr driver.

     So let's use an example, because I still don't see the problem
     yet.  Suppose the cairo driver is initially configured as:

             foreground-color: black
             font: Sans
             font-size: 12pt

     No background color is specified, so suppose it defaults to
     white.  Now something comes along and wants to set the font size
     to 10pt.  So we take the original set of options, change the
     font-size to 10pt, and hand the updated set of options back to
     the driver (using some new "set_options" function I guess).  The
     new option set looks like this:

             foreground-color: black
             font: Sans
             font-size: 10pt

     No background color is specified now either, so it still defaults
     to white.

     What's the problem with defaults in this scenario?

     Thanks,

     Ben.
     --
     Ben Pfaff