pspp-dev

Re: Patches for the sheet branch

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Patches for the sheet branch
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 11:16:23 -0700

Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> writes:

> John Darrington <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The attached patches I believe represent improvements to the psppsheet branch
>> They don't fix all of the problems I had hoped, but I think it'll make the
>> branch easier to work on.
>>
>> A review would be appreciated.
>
> I have a few questions.
>
> Do you have a rule of thumb that explains what should go in
> destroy, dispose, and finalize?  The difference between destroy
> and dispose seems especially difficult to grasp.  I wonder
> whether some of these changes to the destroy/dispose division are
> correct, particularly in the case of PsppSheetView since there
> the code comes straight from GtkTreeView with few changes, but I
> don't know how to decide that from "first principles".
>
> Some of the commits adjust refcounting of the UI manager.  The
> commit messages mention that this fixes problems but don't
> explain further.  Can you say more?
>
> The patch "Reduce the flicker when redrawing the toolbar and
> menubar." appears to leak a reference in
> psppire_data_editor_split_window().  At least, I see nothing that
> will eventually unref de->old_vbox_widget.

Doing a build after applying these patches shows a few new
warnings:

../src/ui/gui/pspp-sheet-view.c: In function ‘pspp_sheet_view_finalize’:
../src/ui/gui/pspp-sheet-view.c:1269: error: unused variable ‘list’

../src/ui/gui/psppire-data-editor.c: In function
‘psppire_data_editor_split_window’:
../src/ui/gui/psppire-data-editor.c:821: error: passing argument 1 of
‘gtk_container_remove’ from incompatible pointer type
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkcontainer.h:113: note: expected ‘struct
GtkContainer *’ but argument is of type ‘struct GtkWidget *’