pspp-dev

Re: time for a release?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: time for a release?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 07:28:18 +0100

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 09:48:42PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     I'm happy to do a release, if John is pleased with the current state of
     the GUI.  John, what do you think?

     Thanks,

     Ben.

I am in two minds.

On the one hand, I know that there are still outstanding issues in the
GUI particularly with the import feature.    On the other hand I know that
several rather serious GUI issues which affected the current released
version have been fixed, particularly those which some users had
reported as crash-on-save.

I suppose the overriding question when deciding whether to release or
not is:  Will the new release behave better than the existing release?

The GUI is ultra difficult to test in a systematic way.   We have put
out a number of appeals for people to test pre-release versions, but not
many people respond to those appeals.  So perhaps the best thing to do
is to release, and wait for people to report the bugs they think
important.