pspp-dev

Re: [ELPA] New package: pspp-mode.el for PSPP/SPSS syntax highlighting

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: pspp-mode.el for PSPP/SPSS syntax highlighting
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2020 13:23:25 -0700

[dropping emacs-devel as this is getting a bit Debian-specific]

Hello,

On Sun 05 Jul 2020 at 07:14PM +02, Friedrich Beckmann wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> thanks for your idea with the separate debian package for the pspp-mode. Do
> you think there is also a way to do this:
>
>>>  An alternative way would be  to find a way that installing the pspp
>>> package will „activate“ the pspp-mode.el from GNU ELPA.
>
> i.e. no upstream code tracking, no additional debian package - just a trigger
> that will activate this mode via GNU ELPA when I install the pspp application.

You could implement something like that, but I think it would be against
the spirit of Debian Policy, since Debian is meant to be self-contained,
rather than expecting the user to download things from the Internet.

It would be better to just add a Recommends: field on the new package so
by default it would already be installed.

--
Sean Whitton