pspp-dev

Re: Reverted a couple of commits

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Reverted a couple of commits
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 22:44:26 -0700

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 10:23 PM John Darrington
<john@darrington.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> However, if the longer names are now short enough, would it be better to
> also revert 9ffa67f4da7766dddfd3d610fba7693cba24d2bc ?
>
> Using a particular tar format, does have the disadvantage that it cannot
> be untarred by older versions of tar.

The Automake manual claims that tar-ustar is widely supported, so I don't
think there's much advantage to reverting it. The problem it works around
could come up again later, especially if a version number gets longer.

See
https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/List-of-Automake-options.html
for the page of the manual that talks about this.