pspp-dev

Re: Install language: OS X 10.15.5, pspp-1.3.0-g69a18e796

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Install language: OS X 10.15.5, pspp-1.3.0-g69a18e796
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:28:52 +0200

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 02:32:22PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 7:10 AM John Darrington
     <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> wrote:

     > On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 09:26:27AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     >      I keep thinking it would be nice to have automatic builds of PSPP
for
     >      Mac OS and for Windows, in the same way that we have them for
     >      GNU/Linux. It would be helpful to our users.
     >
     > I'm guessing that it wouldn't be particularly onerous to have your
buildbot
     > cross compile for Windows.  It wouldn't be able to run all the tests, but
     > it would give a basis for people to try things.

     I came close to doing this one time before. I don't remember what stopped
     me. I should work on it again.

     One thing that made me nervous before was that I wasn't sure what to do
     to ensure that I was properly fulfilling all of my obligations to provide
     source code. I wasn't sure whether I needed to accompany the builds
     with all the source code to the mingw libraries that I was linking against,
     or if it was sufficient to provide a link to the source packages that I had
     installed, or if there was some intermediate level of obligation.

I remember we talked about it.    The relevant section of the GPL is this:

    d) Convey the object code by offering access from a designated
    place (gratis or for a charge), and offer equivalent access to the
    Corresponding Source in the same way through the same place at no
    further charge.  You need not require recipients to copy the
    Corresponding Source along with the object code.  If the place to
    copy the object code is a network server, the Corresponding Source
    may be on a different server (operated by you or a third party)
    that supports equivalent copying facilities, provided you maintain
    clear directions next to the object code saying where to find the
    Corresponding Source.  Regardless of what server hosts the
    Corresponding Source, you remain obligated to ensure that it is
    available for as long as needed to satisfy these requirements.

My interpretation is this:  If we make a w32 bundle available  which
was built using one or more debian packages, then it is sufficient to
link to the relevant debian site which contains the sources for those
packages (it says "the Corresponding Source may be on a different
server (operated by you or a third party)").   We just have to provide
specific links, and from time to time check that those links still
work.

We also have to make sure that if our bundle is downloadable via (say)
https, then the sources on the debian server can also be downloaded
using https ("equivalent copying facilities").

J'