pspp-dev

Re: pspp-1.4.0.pot

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: pspp-1.4.0.pot
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 20:46:52 +0200

Op 16-08-2020 om 20:19 schreef John Darrington:
> Ben is correct.  This was a deliberate decision some years ago,
> because, like Ben says, having a date stamp in the pot file
> causes everyone to complain that the build's md5sum changes on
> every build.

Does your po/Makefile not contain a fragment that compares the
newly built POT file with the existing POT file (disregarding
the POT Creation Date), and replaces the existing POT file only
when the new one differs from it (in something else than the
Creation Date)?

> This problem however has been fixed in gettext 0.20 so if we were
> to insist that PSPP is build against 0.20 or later then presumably
> we could go back to including the date stamp.

For building nano we have used gettext-0.18.3 for years, and
this po/Makefile fragment has been there at least since then.
That Makefile comes straight from gettext.

Benno