pspp-dev

Re: ci scripts in pspp source tree

From: Friedrich Beckmann
Subject: Re: ci scripts in pspp source tree
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 18:14:18 +0200

I would like to avoid any kind of lock-in to some service that

  * will maybe be switched off at some day or
  * it turns out that we cannot use it due to legal issues or
  * may change their service rendering it unusable

I agree with you that Travis achieves a high score in this respect.
Thats why I setup the buildbot at Hochschule Augsburg which is based
on buildbot released under GPL 2 (see: http://buildbot.net/about.html)

The same scripts in the ci folder are used by the debian git builds on buildbot

  * debian-sid-i386, debian-sid-amd64, debian-buster-amd64

and by the Ubuntu bionic build on travis

  * https://travis-ci.org/github/fredowski/pspp

The file „.travis.yml“ is required for the Ubuntu build on Travis.
If the Ubuntu build would move to buildbot, then the .travis.yml file
could be removed. Then also the pspp repository on github can be removed.
So I reduced the travis specifics to this .travis.yml file - but even
that is not really true because buildbot offers an adaptor that can control
the build from a .travis.yml file:

https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot_travis (MIT license)

That is however currently not installed on the buildbot server. The MacOS
builds cannot move to the buildbot because these builds need apple hardware.
But the MacOS builds are currently controlled by other repositories.

So from my perspective „code … which can only be run using travis“ is not the
code that I would like to merge :-)

Fritz