pspp-users

Re: Pspp 0.6.0 in Ubuntu Hardy Heron

From: Andy Choens
Subject: Re: Pspp 0.6.0 in Ubuntu Hardy Heron
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:04:26 -0400

I have a .deb file of 0.6.0 that I managed to compile on my box. I'm willing to send it to you, but I should note that it's a little rough. I made the .deb with checkinstall so it doesn't look for dependencies. But, it does work and seems pretty stable to me so far.

I can send it to you directly if you are interested.

I used the installation directions here for guidance:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=pspp.git;a=blob_plain;f=INSTALL;hb=HEAD

I don't know if it has anything to do with Ubuntu being a little quirky, but I also had to add the ruby extensions to several packages to get it to compile (otherwise the compile failed out. Adding these packages seemed to help). I don't know/think you will need them to just run the program though.

My compile does assume you have all of the dependencies installed.

From the install file:     (Many of these are probably already installed)

The following packages are required to install PSPP:

    * An ANSI C compiler and tool chain.  On Unix-like systems, we
      recommend GCC, but any modern compilation environment should
      work.  On Microsoft Windows, Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) and
      MinGW (http://www.mingw.org/) are known to work.

    * The GNU Scientific Library (http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/),
      version 1.6 or later, including libgslcblas included with GSL.

    * Perl (http://www.perl.org/), version 5.005_03 or later.  Perl is
      required during build but not after installation.

    * iconv, which should be installed as part of a Unix-like system.
      If you don't have a version already, you can install GNU
      libiconv (http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/).

The following package is required to enable PSPP's graphing features.
If you cannot arrange to install it, you must run `configure' with
--without-libplot.

    * libplot, from GNU plotutils
      (http://www.gnu.org/software/plotutils/).

The following packages are required to enable PSPPIRE, the graphical
user interface for PSPP.  If you cannot install them or do not wish to
use the GUI, you must run `configure' with --without-gui.

    * pkg-config (http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/wiki/).  Versions
      0.18 and 0.19 have a bug that will prevent library detection,
      but other versions should be fine.

    * GTK+ (http://www.gtk.org/), version 2.12.0 or later.

    * libglade (http://www.jamesh.id.au/software/libglade/), version
      2.6 or later.

Installing the following packages will allow your PSPP binary to read
Gnumeric files.

    * pkg-config (http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/wiki/).  Versions
      0.18 and 0.19 have a bug that will prevent library detection,
      but other versions should be fine.

      To cross-compile PSPP, you will likely need to set the
      PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR environment variable to point to an
      appropriate pkg-config for the cross-compilation environment.

    * zlib (http://www.zlib.net/).

* libxml2 (http://xmlsoft.org/).
The following packages are optional.

    * libncurses (http://www.gnu.org/software/ncurses/).  Without it,
      PSPP will assume it is running in an 80x25 terminal.

    * libreadline and libhistory
      (http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html).  Without
      them, interactive command editing and history features in the
      text-based user interface will be disabled.

    * Texinfo (http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/), version 4.7 or
      later.  Installing Texinfo will allow you to build PSPP
      documentation in PostScript or PDF format.

* libpq, from Postgresql (http://postgresql.org). This enables PSPP to read Postgresql databases.

Alberto Emiliano wrote:
Greetings, is there anyone who can help me out.

I'm triying to install Pspp 0.6.0, but vía synaptic the available
versión is still 0.4.0-7. I wish to install the latest version without
upgrading to Intrepid.

¿Did someone know an easy (or guided) way to succed?

Thanks,

Alberto Rojas Colvin
Chilean Sociologist