pspp-users

Re: PSPPIRE Interactive Mode

From: Andy Choens
Subject: Re: PSPPIRE Interactive Mode
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:54:43 -0400

John Darrington wrote:
It's not exactly what you want, but the syntax window does a similar
thing.  Most (all?) of the dialog boxes have a "Paste" button which
inserts the syntax into the window.  You can then edit it as you like.

Based on one of your earlier suggestions, I have been experimenting with the pspp-mode for emacs. I'm a little slow with it all, since I have very little experience with emacs, but that's OK. As an old vim die-hard . . . . I hate to admit it . . . . but I am really enjoying emacs. (There -- I said it!). With this mode (and my newly created .emacs init file) I finally have a linux-based editor that can do the syntax highlighting that I want. After using this mode, and reading a bit on the Internet, it seems logical to try and fold this work into the ESS mode, but there may be lots of reasons for not doing this that I don't understand yet. I'm just an emacs noob.

I haven't looked at PSPP's actual code yet, so I'm not too clear on how it all works, but it would be interesting if the command pspp could be given a remote option, so that it looks for a running instance of pspp / psppire. If PSPP/PSPPIRE is already running, pspp wouldn't start a new instance of pspp, but would instead become a client of the existing process. From there it seems fairly trivial to extend the pspp-mode to send syntax / files to eshell running a client pspp.

Either way, I'm having a lot of fun learning emacs and PSPP is an incredible tool. I can't wait to see how future editions improve on the output window (tables and graphs).

--
Andrew Choens, MSW
Research Policy Analyst