pspp-users

Re: testing pspp on vista

From: unknown-1
Subject: Re: testing pspp on vista
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:59:02 +0200

>The mail list has lacked notes on testing pspp on Vista.
[...]

>2. The user had already installed Cygwin.
Installing PSPP with Cygwin included will most likely destroy his Cygwin installation. (This is statet in the readme.) However if the Cygwin installation is not used, this shoud work without a problem.

>3. Upon trying to start pspp, I saw the following
>text in a box:
>
>    A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit. Please
>     open /tmp/XWin.log for more information.
>
>     Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
>     Release: 6.8.99.901-4
>     Contact: address@hidden
>     XWin was started with the following command-line:
>
>     /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error
>
>A search failed to find any file called XWin.log.

It should be in your windows temp directory. See the envrionemnt variable %temp% for the location.

>4. Trying to start PSPP through icon in the start menu failed.
>A message from another program appeared, saying:
>
>  A program on your computer wants to accept incoming connections from
>  the Internet. Before it can, you must decide whether to allow it
>  access. To protect your computer, you should only allow programs that
> you trust.

>  About this Program:
>  Program: XWin.exe
>  Location: C:\Cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe
>  Recommendation: Unknown program
>
>(I thought this was kind of funny.)

This must be a message of some kind of firewall which stops Xwin and most likely is the reason of problem 3.
>5. After explicitly allowing X to accept incoming connections, pspp
> started after about 2 attempts. For the failed attempts, the icon appeared
> briefly on the bottom toolbar, and then vanished.

This can happen if the PC is working very slow.

>After psppire started, we typed in a simple data set and ran FREQUENCIES
> successfully

This surprices me. :-)

>It all ran very slowly.

What runs quick on Vista?