pspp-users

PSPP: WRITE/PRINT

From: address@hidden
Subject: PSPP: WRITE/PRINT
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:45:54 -0400

What is the difference between PRINT and WRITE.  The User Guide is not much
help, with regard to either, unless you understand technospeak.  References
to transformations and procedures do not mean thing to me.  More to the
point, how are both used?  I am trying to create a frequency distribution
in order to carry the results through to some charting software, where I
have control over the presentation of the output.  If I use the following
(taken from SPSS/PC+ by John Hedderson), for example:

DATA LIST /
    ID          1-2
    EDUC        3-4
    SEX         5
    HAPPY       6.
BEGIN DATA.
010912
021223
031521
041222
050611
061612
071522
081612
091821
101412
111321
121611
130922
141212
151221
161821
170821
181222
191613
20142
END DATA.
MISSING VALUES
    EDUC        (-9)
    HAPPY
    SEX         (0).
LIST.
FREQUENCIES EDUC HAPPY.
PRINT                      (I copied this
    OUTFILE = 'testfile'   bit from various
    TABLE                  websites.)
    /EDUC SEX HAPPY.
EXECUTE.
QUIT.

Instead of the frequency distribution I want, I get:

  9 1 2
 12 2 3
 15 2 1
 12 2 2
  6 1 1
 16 1 2
 15 2 2
 16 1 2
 18 2 1
 14 1 2
 13 2 1
 16 1 1
  9 2 2
 12 1 2
 12 2 1
 18 2 1
  8 2 1
 12 2 2
 16 1 3
 14 2 .

The output file 'pspp.list' is fine on the screen in PSPP but is barely
usable in a text editor, because it contains repeated letters and control
characters.  What is the solution, please?

John Shipley

Hull, England