pspp-users

Xtab with strings/compute question

From: Sierra Bravo
Subject: Xtab with strings/compute question
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:44:39 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all
I'm trying to crosstabulate two string variables, and it seems to be
instantly crashing the system. The syntax I'm using is the following:

CROSSTABS
        /TABLES= Col1 Col2  BY   Col44
        /FORMAT=AVALUE LABELS TABLES PIVOT
        /STATISTICS=CHISQ
        /CELLS=COUNT ROW COLUMN TOTAL.

Col1, Col2 and Col44 are string variables (1 & 2 are variables such as
'Agree', 'Diagree' and 44 is  'a. 1-3 years', 'b. 3-5 years', 'c. 5-8 years'
etc). Is there some other recommended way to do a cross tab of this kind?

Also, I tried to create a new variable as follows (in order to extract the
first letter):

COMPUTE CAT=SUBSTRING(Col44,1,1)

This also fails.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.