pspp-users

RE: Import / Export Functions and other features missing for academic an

From: Marshall DeBerry
Subject: RE: Import / Export Functions and other features missing for academic and office use in urban planning
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:53:27 -0400

Hi Ben,
   I generally have used the File Type Nested  command or the Input Program
command to utilize REREAD's or DO IF's to read a variety of nested
hierarchical  files.  Note that quite a few of the US Federal government
agencies that put out public data employ a nested hierarchical file
structure.   As an example, consider the following schema:

    Household record
            Person 1
            Person 2
                 Motor vehicle 1
           Person 3
                 Motor vehicle 2
                      Accident information
                 Motorcycle 1

 As you can see, keeping what links to what can become complex, but this
structure allows for a richer amount of data to be given out to the public
for further exploration and use.   In this particular example, one can see
patterns of vehicle usage by multiple persons within  the particular
household unit.    By examining these types of linkages, much more
analytical information can be explored than is typically done with simpler
file structures.

Hope this is helpful.
   Marshall