pspp-users

Re: Seeking Help with Select Cases by Multiple Variable Criteria in vers

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Seeking Help with Select Cases by Multiple Variable Criteria in version PSPP 0.7.9
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 17:45:08 +0100

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 10:51:24AM -0500, Toi James wrote:

     I've searched online for answers.  All say there is no way to do it with
buttons in the interface.  One suggests that I just write the syntax.  When I
tried the suggestion (e.g., SELECT IF Grade = 1), it only works for one
criterion.  For example, I can't select for grades 1 and 2.  It could be that
the syntax is wrong (I am a syntax novice; the SPSS interface as spoiled me),
but I would like to figure this out so that I can continue to use PSPP.

As I recall, the graphical user interface for the select command is exactly the
same (well almost exactly) as that in SPSS.
At least that was the case a few years ago.  Perhaps recent SPSS versions have
changed.

     1) Is there a way to select for multiple criteria by variable in PSPP?
     2) If so, how?
     3) What syntax format will work to accomplish selecting multiple criteria
within a variable in PSPP?

SELECT IF Grade = 1 OR Grade = 2.
                                ^  Don't forget the terminating dot!

You can also do something similar, but not exactly the same, with the FILTER
command.

It's understandable that you find SPSS syntax confusing.  It is indeed a
confusing language.
In PSPP it exists only in order to satisfy people who are already familiar with
it, and
cannot change.  I would not recommend that you invest time learning it unless
you have a compelling
reason to do so.

     4) If it is not available in the interface, when will this feature be
available for the syntax-challenged in the user-friendly interface?

How would you suggest such an user interface should look? and how would it
behave?
If we have a clear specification, then it is easier to implement what you want.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.