pspp-users

Data in - data out

From: Crichton, Ronald
Subject: Data in - data out
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 01:42:20 +0000

Can someone please offer some advice on PSPP’s ability to write an output data file (text file)?  I’m using Windows on a PC.

I have created a test file of three lines, it looks like this when I open it in Notepad:

01AA45

02BB56

03CC78

PSPP reads the data okay and then writes the data to an output file without error.  Please see the following code:

data list fixed

                file='C:\JUNK\PSPPdat.txt'

                /vara 1-2 (A) varb 3-4 (A) varc 5-6 (A).

list.

WRITE

OUTFILE='C:\JUNK\OUTFILE.TXT'

                /vara 1-2 (A) varc 3-4 (A) varb 5-6 (A).

execute.

However, the output file has the following format when viewed in Notepad:

0145AA0256BB0378CC

It would appear that the output file does not have any ‘carriage return/line feed’ characters that Notepad recognises.  Other editors can be used that will ‘see’ the file in a rectangular format.  I was wondering if something can be done so that the data can be seen as follows:

0145AA

0256BB

0378CC

Thank you,  Ron

CIT is the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year.
Subscribe to CIT Industry Connection - CIT's free, bi monthly publication:
http://cit.edu.au/industry_business/industry_connection/