pspp-users

Re: Performance questions: workspace_size default value and temp file di

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Performance questions: workspace_size default value and temp file directory
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:08:45 +0100

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 05:33:50PM +0100, Stefan Tzeggai wrote:
     Thanks for recommending PSPP-Perl for converting CSV to SAV

     I have only found
     http://search.cpan.org/~pdonelan/PSPP-Perl-0.7.2.20090730/lib/PSPP.pm
     but I need at least GNU pspp 0.7.9 (Fri Jun 29 19:31:48 UTC 2012) since
     i need the CSV import "/ENCODING" option which has only been added in
     June 2012.

     Lets imagine I would find/build a recent version of the PSPP-Perl module...

     Do you think it would perform significantly better in regards to memory
     and speed?

     Right now I am dynamically generating the PSPP-Skripts and that works
     perfectly - except for huge memory demand vs. slow performance tradeof.

     Do you know any good reason - or does you stomache tell you somehow -
     that it would need less memory?

Using the perl module will be  magnitudes faster and use less memory than
than using PSPP, the program.    This is because all it does is copy data,
whereas PSPP is a very sophisticate statistical analysis program and
has to do lots more work.

Your mention of the /ENCODING option, however confuses me, because it is not
something that is relevant to the perl module.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.