pspp-users

Re: Program dropping out

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Program dropping out
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 18:43:03 +0200

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 10:33:28AM -0400, William Rogers wrote:
     This is Dr.William Rogers at Hesser College in Manchester New Hampshire. We
     are currently using your PSPP software to teach statistics to our
     undergrads.  The software is loaded on our computers in the lab and on my
     office computer. The version we are using is August 2012, however, I have
     tried more current versions on my office computer. The problem is that
     after running a single analysis and getting an output  window, attempting
     to run a second analysis causes the program to stop responding and close.
     This happens without warning and results in lost work.

I'm sorry to hear that.

     I have tried newer
     version and found they won't even read my data file or the SPSS control
     file.

I suggest we start from here then.  First, some questions:

1. Which operating system?

2. Did you compile PSPP yourself, or did you obtain a pre-compiled version
   from somewhere?  If the former, did you run "make check" and were there
   any warnings when you did that? and exactly which version did you compile?
   If the latter, from exactly where did you get your copy?

3. You say "it won't read my data/control file".  Exactly what happens when
   you try?  and how are you trying?  Do you see any error messages or warnings?
   Can you post a copy of a file which it cannot read.

Please be exact as you can in describing your symptoms, that way we have a
better chance of diagnosing the problem.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.