pspp-users

Re: encrypted SPSS .sav files

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: encrypted SPSS .sav files
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:30:30 -0700

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 01:54:09PM -0700, Basti?n D?az wrote:
> Ben, do not know if I understood well, but shipping anyway I could
> do. (also woke up a little sick today).

You did just what I asked, and even more.  Thanks!

> I also kept the syntax files, apparently even repeat a word as your
> password, it generates a different encryption key.
>
> If what I did is right, could create another set of files from another
> source.

The password encryption format must be pretty simple, but I don't yet
understand it.  Will you do another experiment?  Using the one-letter
password "a", repeatedly paste syntax for it.  If you have enough
patience, do it ten times or so.  Then do the same thing for the
one-letter password "b".  Don't bother actually saving the files or
sending them, because I'm not interested in the files, I'm just curious
about the password encryption.

Thanks a lot!