pspp-users

Re: When to use PSPP and not SPSS?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: When to use PSPP and not SPSS?
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 22:08:45 +0100

On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 04:20:51PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

     I work for a large Norwegian college and in some circumstances, we can't
use SPSS (at least for now). I have asked the researchers if they maybe could
use PSPP, but they seem very sceptic. Since I don't know much about them, being
an operation engineer, could someone line out the major differences between
them apart from license/cost/openness etc?

It is odd that anyone, especially academics, would distrust PSPP whose
implementation is published and open to independent review, yet they trust SPSS
whose sources are unpublished, secret and not open to critique.

Or perhaps your colleagues, are not aware of that.  Can you ask them, in the
light of the above, *why* they are wary of PSPP and perhaps we can allay their
fears somewhow.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3