pspp-users

Re: change interface language

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: change interface language
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 15:27:59 +0100

Like the manual says, rather stupidly SET LOCALE does not change the locale.
It just changes the default character encoding when PSPP reads files which
do not have this information embedded.  This is confusing, but it is like this
for legacy reasons.

When I want to start psppire without a native language interface, I just
do "LC_ALL=C psppire"

This will also set the default decimal separator - so "one half" will be
rendered as 0.5 instead of 0,5 which is common in France.

If you want to keep the comma as the decimal separator, but want to override
the French language strings then "LC_MESSAGES=C psppire" will do the trick.

This should work on all Posix compliant systems.  If you're using a system
which is not posix compliant, then you will have to refer to your operating
system's manual to find out how to do this.

J'