pspp-users

GET DATA DELIMITED TEXT

From: Frans Houweling
Subject: GET DATA DELIMITED TEXT
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:33:48 +0200

Hi,
I have had trouble reading MS Excel-generated csv files before discovering the /ESCAPE option. In particular an Excel file like this:

uniqID|company       |score
         1 |Number one|76
         2|"The Best"     |91
         3|Peerless Ltd   |20

will become a csv file like this:

uniqID;company;score
1;Number one;76
2;"""The Best""";91
3;Peerless Ltd;20

which is read by GET DATA in SPSS (version 14, sorry) but in PSPP needs the /ESCAPE option. So my question is: shouldn't the escaping behaviour be the default, and a /NOESCAPE option an extension?

Also please note that PSPPIRE generates /IMPORTCASES in the syntax instead of /IMPORTCASE and SPSS doesn't like that.
Regards
frans