pspp-users

Differences in the /IMPORTCASE=... subcommand between SPSS and PSPP

From: Charles Johnson
Subject: Differences in the /IMPORTCASE=... subcommand between SPSS and PSPP
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 06:33:55 +0000

Hi, this is a question about the functioning of the subcommand
/IMPORTCASE=PERCENT %. PSPP just choose the percentage of the first cases of
the file, On the other hand, SPSS randomly choose the percentage of cases in
the data file.

The difference between FIRST and PERCENT subtype  is that the second randomizes
the data. In the unlikely event of having a file of 100 cases, PSPP generate
the same data file using the subcommand: /IMPORTCASE=FIRST 50 &
/IMPORTCASE=PERCENT 50.

Is this a deliberate behavior?

In my case, I use the PERCENT subtype to create multiple data files with random
cases from the same source.

cheers

CJT