pspp-users

Re: Selecting cases using the "IF" Function

From: Dr. Oliver Walter
Subject: Re: Selecting cases using the "IF" Function
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 17:31:43 +0100

Hi,

I think that you are unfortunately right. In the Graphical User Interface (GUI) this option is missing. I missed it yesterday and this morning, too. But there seems to be the possibility of "select if" by writing a syntax file. On page 130 of the manual you can read:

"13.4 SELECT IF

SELECT IF _expression_.

SELECT IF selects cases for analysis based on the value of _expression_. Cases not selected
are permanently eliminated from the active dataset, unless TEMPORARY is in effect (see
Section 13.6 [TEMPORARY], page 123).

Specify a boolean _expression_ (see Chapter 7 [Expressions], page 46). If the value of the
_expression_ is true for a particular case, the case will be analyzed. If the _expression_ has a
false or missing value, then the case will be deleted from the data stream.

Place SELECT IF as early in the command file as possible. Cases that are deleted early
can be processed more efficiently in time and space.

When SELECT IF is specified following TEMPORARY (see Section 13.6 [TEMPORARY],
page 123), the LAG function may not be used (see [LAG], page 57)."

It would be great if someone could implement this command in the GUI - as well as the nonparametrical tests for independent groups, e.g. the Mann-Whitney-U-Test, and "compute variable if ..." command.

Sincerely,

Oliver Walter

---
Dr. Walter Statistics