pspp-users

Re: PSPP for windows.

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: PSPP for windows.
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 19:31:19 -0600

I wouldn't panic, but my understanding is that the PSPP team releases PSPP (as source) which is then packaged by various individuals for Windows, Mac, various Linux distros, etc.  So, there is a sense in which there is never been "official" binary releases for any target.

Harry Thijssen had set up a process to cross-compile PSPP on Linux to produce a windows package (and I think he also wrote the nullsoft installer). That was the only Windows package available. There have been some issues, however, and on Jan 20 2021, Harry posted this note to the dev mailing list:

I think it is time to add a message on https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/get.html that MSWindows installers are only available for versions pre oktober 2020.
This until somebody picks up the glove and redesigns the build scripts to make them compatible with the newer pspp sources.

So I think that means that Windows is currently in need of a new maintainer or someone to help Harry. Friedrich Beckmann also has been unable to cross-compile:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pspp-dev/2020-11/msg00011.html

If you're interested in setting up an environment, I'd recommend you join the dev mailing list.

-Alan

On 3/4/2021 6:55 PM, Gunnar Horrigmo wrote:
Hello.

I'm slightly confused about the implications of this statement on
https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/get.html:

| Windows
|
| For PSPP versions prior to October 2020, Harry Thijssen provides
| installers or all downloadable files.

Does this mean that there will no longer be provided "official"
PSPP installers for windows?

I am deploying PSPP to thousands of windows computers. Should I set
up my own build environment, or is there another recommended method?

Or am I just panicking?

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

The irony of this ... is that the Internet is
both almost-infinitely expandable, while at the
same time constrained within its own pre-defined
box. And if that makes no sense to you, just
reflect on the existence of Facebook. We have
the vastness of the internet and yet billions
of people decided to spend most of them time
within a horribly designed, fake-news emporium
of a website that sucks every possible piece of
personal information out of you so it can sell it
to others. And they see nothing wrong with that.

-- Kieren McCarthy, commenting on why we are not
                    all using IPv6