pspp-users

Re: Pspp-users Digest, Vol 177, Issue 15

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Pspp-users Digest, Vol 177, Issue 15
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 21:08:28 +0100

For this kind of problems it might be better to use the debug version from  https://sourceforge.net/projects/pspp4windows/files/2020-09-26-ForTestingOnly/DebugVersion/
It will give the the information needed  to  identify the problem.

Look at the readme file how to use it.

Stay safe

Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 17:27:22 +0000
From: Ricardo Mejias <ricardomejias@hotmail.com>
To: "pspp-users@gnu.org" <pspp-users@gnu.org>,
        "john@darrington.wattle.id.au" <john@darrington.wattle.id.au>
Subject: Pspp-users Digest, Vol 177, Issue 14

To John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au>:

I think that the content of this earlier email may answer your questions.

The file I was working with is a merge of voter registration data from all of the counties in Florida (which is public information).  Since I could not make the N 100 work, I decided to do to the file of the smallest county what I did to the Florida totals, so that I could have one small enough to email it to you. First, I ran this smaller file on the same code.  It crashed one line before where the larger one used to crash, on NUMERIC EndDate (F10).  Then I re-ran the larger one and it also crashed one the line before where it used to crash.

But this time, the crashed happened when the Variables window showed up and I tried to go to View Data. First an error message window popped up saying "Assertion Failed".  Retry and Ignore would not do anything, so I clicked on Abort and had a crash.

Then I ran the code on the smaller file through COMPUTE EndDate = YRMODA(2021, 01, 31)  and it also crashed.  So, the file I have attached should be good for testing whether or not you get the same results.

Please let me know what you find and what solutions you suggest.

GET /FILE = "E:\GNU_PSPP\FloridaTotalsFiles\SelectedFieldsLIB_20210209.sav".
FILTER OFF.
USE ALL.
SELECT IF(NOT MISSING(BirthDate)).
STRING ResidenceZipcodes (A5).
COMPUTE ResidenceZipcodes=SUBSTR(ResidenceZipcode,1,5).
DELETE VARIABLES ResidenceZipcode.      /*Worked up to here.  Crashes after that*/
NUMERIC EndDate (F10).                          /*Crashed here*/
COMPUTE EndDate = YRMODA(2021, 01, 31).
EXECUTE.
FORMAT EndDate (ADATE10).
COMPUTE AgeInMonths = DATEDIFF(EndDate,BirthDate,'days') / (365.25*12).