pspp-users

Re: Test version of Pspp

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Test version of Pspp
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 15:34:18 -0600

Currently, the "test version" is the only recent version available. The "problem" (it's a problem for Windows users) is that the PSPP developers release the source code to PSPP and then its up to users to compile the software. Doing that on Windows is not trivial. So, it's nice of Friedrich Beckmann to make this version available.

I think for open-source software, there is less distinction between "real" and "test" versions. The software tends to be continually being updated (and improved). That's not a bad thing. Ben has been working on some nice SPSS compatibility features that will appear in the Windows version at some point. It's important to report errors (either on this list, or even better if you create a bug report).

Also, getting version 1.5.3 is actually good. For example, if I installed the version of PSPP packaged for the latest Fedora or Ubuntu, I get 1.4.1.

I have used the test version successfully on Windows 10. The main complaint we've gotten on this list lately about the windows version is about this language.  So, I conclude that either (1) PSPP isn't much used on Windows, or (2) the test version works fine. In my (limited) experience with Windows 10, the later is true.

As for Windows 11, someone asked recently if PSPP worked on Windows 11 and I haven't seen an answer. We haven't had any reports (that I've seen on this list) about the Windows version not working on Win11, but I'd hazard a guess that's because Win11 is not widely in use yet.

-Alan