pspp-users

Re: CentOS 7.9 install

From: Mogerman Rob
Subject: Re: CentOS 7.9 install
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:29:32 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks.  We don't use the GUI and only need some basic ascii to sav conversion abilities so an older version should probably work.

On Monday, March 14, 2022, 11:06:44 AM CDT, Alan Mead <amead@alanmead.org> wrote:

I see RPMs packaged for Fedora, but not CentOS. Quite a while ago, I tried compiling PSPP (and PSPPIRE, the gui part of pspp) on CentOS 7 and I had difficulty with some of the libraries. The default libraries on CentOS are pretty old (the RHEL "stability" issue) and PSPP now requires a library that John is packaging separately to display the spreadsheet view of the data. Last time I looked, that library wasn't packaged for CentOS.

So, the consequence of this is that I think it's difficult to get a recent version of PSPPIRE to compile.  It's easier to get PSPP (without the gui) to compile, but it required some changes.

There have, no doubt, been many backported changes to RHEL/CetOS since 7 was introduced, but it was based on Fedora 19 and they're on f37 now. (Wow, nine years ago... Doesn't seem that long ago.) The version of PSPP that shipped for F19 was something like 0.79 or 0.84. So, you might have better luck using a very old version of PSPP. For example, the RPM from f19 might work, but it will be a pretty old version of PSPP.

-Alan