pyatcron-devel-list

RE: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Got root?

From: Childers, Matthew
Subject: RE: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Got root?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:08:36 -0600

>>There is a kcron application for KDE. It enables non-root users to
write
>>crontab without needing the root password. So I guess it's possible.
If
>>nobody knows how to do it, we could simply look at kcron's code. After
>>all, it's GPL :)
>
>Yup, I've been looking at their interface. What do you guys think about
their "Add Task" window? See what I mean >at
http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdeadmin/kcron/new-task.html .

>I've been working on something similar with Glade. I've almost got it
done. I'll send it out when I'm done->ish. : )

We talked about this earlier, I think it was before the list.  But our
plan is to make it as user friendly as possible.  That would be ok for
an advanced tab/button, but we are going to try and build some
pre-defined schedules that they can choose from when they edit a task,
like:
        o Daily at x time
        o Weekly on x days at x time
                or
        o Daily, Recurring every x Minutes/hours
        o Weekly on x days, Recurring every x Minutes/hours

That way they can quickly choose the options they want without a being
presented a huge list of options all at once.  Then we could have an
advanced tab that gave all the options available.  I'm still not crazy
about all those toggle buttons, it just seems really cluttered, but that
may be the only way to do it.