qemu-arm

Re: qemu-system-aarch64 error

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: qemu-system-aarch64 error
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 21:24:35 +0000

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 19:50, <andschlick@freenet.de> wrote:

> I installed qemu on a windows 10 laptop and wanted to start and install
> opensuse aarch64 version under qemu-system-arch64.de and I get the following
> error message.
>
> C: \ qemu \ qemu-system-aarch64.exe: No machine specified, and there is no
> default
> Use -machine help to list supported machines

Is it no longer possible to use aarch64?

The message tells you what the problem is: you did not specify a machine
type to emulate. You need to do that, because (unlike x86-64) there is
no default machine type which QEMU will choose if you don't tell it
which machine you meant.

You can specify a machine type with the -machine option. "-machine help" will
give you your choices. Probably you want 'virt': see the guidance at
https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/target-arm.html#choosing-a-board-model

Note that you *cannot* simply pass QEMU, eg, a distro CDROM image
via the -cdrom option and expect to boot from it on anything really
other than the x86 PC machine type. For AArch64 you will want to
find a tutorial on how to boot a Linux distro on the virt board,
because that's easier than trying to figure out how to do it from scratch.
(You have two choices -- pass QEMU a UEFI bios image, which can then
boot a CDROM, or pass QEMU a Linux kernel image file and initrd directly:
decide which you want to do and pick a tutorial accordingly.)

thanks
-- PMM