qemu-arm

Re: Re: disable cpu features

From: strixner
Subject: Re: Re: disable cpu features
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 20:35:28 +0100

>That said, this:
>
>CPU part : 0xc08
>
>is a Cortex-A8. So "-cpu cortex-a8" will probably be
>basically what you want. The catch is that the virt board
>doesn't support a CPU type that old, so if you're using 'virt'
>you'd need to sort out a setup that works on a Cortex-A8 based
>board, which would be a pain.
>
>The simplest thing would be to tell your compiler to build
>for a Cortex-A8 with Neon.

Thanks for your feedback, this helps!

Tried the realview-pb-a8 board with a Cortex-A8, but then I cannot boot the Linux image with the build environment: "qemu-system-arm: -drive if=virtio,file=debian-arm.qcow2,format=qcow2,id=hd: No 'PCI' bus found for device 'virtio-blk-pci'"

Will try to convince the compiler to build for cortex-a8 with neon (Might have to rewrite a number of Makefiles as they don't seem to forward manual compiler flag overwrites from top level or environment to the sub-Makefiles in all cases... But should be doable. By default (without explicit overwrites) I already got a running binary - but apparently without Neon support).

Thanks again!