qemu-block

Incremental Backup GUI or Automation Scripts?

From: Derek Jarvis
Subject: Incremental Backup GUI or Automation Scripts?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 14:58:19 +0100

I read about the Incremental Backup feature here: https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/IncrementalBackup

Some of this seems a bit "proof of concept" that requires more implementation. Is there an UI available for this, either command prompt or GUI, to simplify this process?

My use case is I want to be able to migrate a VM between different servers and I want to speed this up by only sending the disk changes. The idea is that each server would maintain the "last known" state of the disk and would be sent the incremental changes from the other server when it is taking ownership of it. For me, one server is a proxmox instance, and the other "server" is actually my laptop running virt-manager.

Is there anything available to simplify this process?