qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] multiple VMs

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] multiple VMs
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:23:58 -0700

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 11:52, Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> Something worth considering would be a PPP/SLIP connection via a
> virtual serial device.

On the host you have to still do an install of TIA or SLiRP? I'm
probably missing something. If that's the case it seems like you might
as well use TUN/TAP. Though it's possible you could get around needing
root access somehow... I don't know enough about TIA or SliRP.

Here's where I think QEMU could get: say a Morphix CD has a QEMU.EXE and
AUTORUN on it, uncompressed. Then a 98 or NT user who doesn't have much
control/knowledge of his machine could just pop the CD in his machine
and it would automatically pop open Linux in emulated environment.

The first thing I would imagine trying as a user is opening a browser
and going to Google. But to make this "just work", the fundamental
problem is getting raw network packets (or even in the case you
describe, network packets with a PPP link to maintain and PPP wrappers
for every IP packet) out of the network card on the host machine without
requiring any special setup.

Within the Morphix image itself, anything is possible. But I am
interested in seeing Nothing additional needing to be done on the host
machine.

To get there I think you have to proxy it out.

Another possibility is to replace the sockets API within the (emulated)
Morphix image with something that can hook directly into a QEMU "API"
that would pass through all socket library calls to the host. That would
provide a transparent proxy so no special per-app configuration would
even be necessary with the Knoppix image.

-- John.