qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu frontend proposal

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu frontend proposal
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 00:18:24 +0200

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
Dear all,

Fabrice expressed the need for a Qemu frontend. Before working on anything, I would like to discuss about possible plans and receive some feedback.

My proposals are:
> [...]

Here is proposal:

1) Have an SDL interface which works for all OSes (Linux, Win32, MacOS X). SDL is useful to have a simple implementation to test a new port.

2) Make a GTK interface for Linux. It must be written in plain C and integrated in the QEMU CVS (a single C source file containing the UI might suffice for the first version). The default Linux build will be this one. I don't see the need of an external frontend or something written in another language.

3) Make a native win32 interface for Windows. It must compile with MinGW, so only the plain win32 API must be used.

Of course, in the cases (2) and (3), SDL won't be used. I will work on (2) and (3) if no one does it before me :-)

Fabrice.