qemu-devel

Small error in blog post

From: Louis Cloete
Subject: Small error in blog post
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 19:18:11 +0200

Hi!

I read your blog post http://blog.vmsplice.net/2020/08/why-qemu-should-move-from-c-to-rust.html

I thought it was a well thought out exposition of the topic of "what shall we do to security vulnerabilities due to C bugs. Is Rust the answer".

However, one small inaccuracy caught my eye. Rust doesn't prevent memory leaks. Memory leaks aren't considered memory unsafe by Rust's definition. It is possible to leak memory in safe Rust. I believe memory leaks are not prevented, because trying to prove their absence at compile time boils down to the halting problem.

Regards
Louis Cloete