qemu-devel

Re: Why QEMU should move from C to Rust (clickbait alert ;))

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: Why QEMU should move from C to Rust (clickbait alert ;))
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 10:39:07 +0100

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:51 PM Sergio Lopez <slp@redhat.com> wrote:
>  1. Having a reference implementation for a simple device somewhere
>  close or inside the QEMU source tree. I'd say vhost-user-blk is a
>  clear candidate, given that a naive implementation for raw files
>  without any I/O optimization is quite easy to read and understand.

Yes, it's important to have crates that make it easy to build device backends.

The following common areas come to mind:
1. vhost-user protocol and vring APIs.
2. vhost-user conventions for command-line options.
3. Live migration support.
4. Sandboxing (seccomp, etc).
5. Management interface.

They can all be separate crates and you can choose which ones to use.

Rust-vmm and cloud-hypervisor have already started on some of these.
It would be nice to work together.

Stefan