qemu-devel

Re: Difficulty making usb-serial device visible within the guest

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Difficulty making usb-serial device visible within the guest
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 10:15:51 +0200

  Hi,

> With auto-attach disabled this effectively prevents the device from
> attaching to the USB unless the chardev is opened which feels odd.

Why?  It's not needed to connect at boot btw, the device will be
hotplugged if the chardev is opened.

> I would expect that if I add a device to QEMU using -device then it is
> immediately visible in the guest, and if the chardev isn't connected
> then the device should report its status as disconnected as you would
> expect with a real USB to RS232 adapter.

Huh?  How would that work?  You can do some guesswork using modem line
status etc, but as far I know _reliable_ connected/disconnected
reporting simply doesn't exist in the world of serial lines ...

I'm open to add a device property to turn off the hotplug behavior.
Patches are welcome.

take care,
  Gerd