qemu-devel

Re: [PULL v7 000/151] Meson-based build system

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL v7 000/151] Meson-based build system
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 17:10:05 +0100

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 17:02, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:
> Meson (just like configure before it) is looking for SDL and other
> dependencies even if you're not building system emulators.
>
> Because you don't have those dependencies installed as static libraries,
> Meson warns that library is marked as "not found" even though the
> library itself is there.

Looking at the old configure logic, I think what we do for a static
link is that we do a test compile, and if it succeeds then we enable
SDL, and if it doesn't we silently don't enable SDL (and I haven't
tested but I assume that this config without the dependencies
available as static libraries is going to fail that compile test).
Presumably Meson is complaining rather than just treating "don't have
a working static SDL and user didn't pass --enable-sdl" as
"silently don't enable SDL" ?

>  To suppress the warnings, it's enough to put
> an "if have_system" around the dependency check.  Let me know if you
> want me to do it now.

Don't need to fix this now; I guess we can do it later.

thanks
-- PMM