qemu-devel

Re: deprecation of in-tree builds

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: deprecation of in-tree builds
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 18:14:56 +0200

Am 20.08.2020 um 17:50 hat Paolo Bonzini geschrieben:
> On 20/08/20 15:30, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > So without that, and also without a mention in deprecated.rst, I don't
> > think having mentioned a wish to break things a while ago means that we
> > should just follow through with that despite the objections.
> >
> > At least this isn't how it has worked for other patch series. If it is
> > the new standard, I can remove -drive tomorrow. I've been mentioning for
> > years that I don't like it and want to remove it, so people can just
> > deal with it.
>
> Come on, you're too smart to say that seriously.  The deprecation policy
> only applies to user-visible features, users don't care if ./configure
> && make works.  (There is precedent for that: the switch from "make
> subdir-*" to "make */all" was never included in user-visible documentation).
>
> I hate to say this but if the Meson conversion does not land in the next
> few days (I will disappear again on Saturday) I'm just going to drop it
> on the floor and let people have fun with their Makefiles.
>
> I have already spent the last 3 weeks on it almost full time and I
> cannot really justify, to both myself and my employer, spending much
> more time on a build system rather than fixing real bugs[1] or doing
> shiny new stuff.

I just don't understand why 99.9% of it were okay to do, but the final
bit that would make the switch a lot more seamless to people is asking
too much. You're familiar with the state after your patches, I'm not. I
assume you're also the one who sends the pull request, and anything
developed after that pull request will mean that people will already
be impacted.

If you ask me to do pause my work, instead familiarise myself with your
work and do that final bit so that you can then include it in your pull
request, I'm sure your employer will pay for more time being spent
rather than less.

Kevin