qemu-devel

Re: [RFC qemu 0/6] mirror: implement incremental and bitmap modes

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [RFC qemu 0/6] mirror: implement incremental and bitmap modes
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 11:54:09 -0400

On 8/21/20 9:03 AM, Max Reitz wrote:
On 18.02.20 11:07, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:

[Sorry :/]

picking up on John's in-progress patch series from last summer, this is
a stab at rebasing and adding test cases for the low-hanging fruits:

- bitmap mirror mode with always/on-success/never bitmap sync mode
- incremental mirror mode as sugar for bitmap + on-success

Fabian Grünbichler (4):
   mirror: add check for bitmap-mode without bitmap
   mirror: switch to bdrv_dirty_bitmap_merge_internal
   iotests: add test for bitmap mirror
   mirror: move some checks to QMP

John Snow (2):
   drive-mirror: add support for sync=bitmap mode=never
   drive-mirror: add support for conditional and always bitmap sync modes

Looks reasonable to me.  I would indeed merge patches 2 through 4 into a
single one, and perhaps switch patches 5 and 6.

Also, we still need an S-o-b from John on patch 2.

Whoops! Will do.

I have one question: When the mirror job completes successfully (or is
cancelled “successfully”), the bitmap is always fully cleared when the
job completes, right?  (Unless in “never” mode.)

I don't remember personally, it's been a minute ...

Not that I think we should change the current implementation of “clear
sync_bitmap; merge dirty_bitmap into sync_bitmap;”.  Just a question for
understanding.

Soo...  What’s the plan?

Max