qemu-devel

Re: meson.build files are missing copyright/license headers

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: meson.build files are missing copyright/license headers
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 19:46:12 +0100

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 at 19:29, Marc-André Lureau
<marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 1:44 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>
> wrote:
>>  It looks like the new meson.build files are missing the usual
>> copyright-and-license header comment. Could somebody add them,
>> please?
>>
>> scripts/ninjatool.py does have a copyright line but is missing
>> the license statement.
>>

> Afaik, most makefiles didn't have any, so it falls under the default GPL2+
> LICENSE rule.

Yep, but the rule is that new files should have them, even if
old files didn't always.

> If it's a matter of prepending
>
> # SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-or-later
>
> On each meson.build file, I can prepare a patch.

Everything needs at least a copyright line (in this case, judging
by existing files in the tree it will probably be something like
"Copyright (c) 2020 Red Hat, Inc." but check with your legal
department what they like ;-)), plus a statement that clearly
defines the license the code is under. We don't mandate SPDX[*],
but it will do the job if you want to use it.

[*] Mostly because nobody's cared enough to say "we should
standardize on this and convert existing files and add the
check to checkpatch that new files have an SPDX line".

thanks
-- PMM