qemu-devel

Re: About creating machines on the command line

From: Kashyap Chamarthy
Subject: Re: About creating machines on the command line
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 18:11:50 +0100

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:37:06AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 03:50:58PM +0100, Luc Michel wrote:

[...]

> > This would hopefully allow for simple machines creation. We would then be
> > able to use either the command line or the `-readconfig` option to create
> > the machine.
> >
> > Note that we are not planning to use QMP/HMP for now. From our
> > understanding, a `device_add` request is always considered as hot-plug,
> > which is not what we want here.
> >
> > Please tell us what do you think about this plan. Any feedback is
> > appreciated.  Then we can discuss the details of how to do this properly.
>
> There's a general desire amongst QEMU maintainers to move to a world
> where QAPI is used for describing everything. In this vision, eventually
> all current command line options would be replaced with QMP commands
> and QAPI objects specs.
>
> In this world -readconfig is likely to be deleted.

In that case, I hope the above intention / direction will be documented
somewhere more clearly.  In the past I ran into at least a couple of
companies that use QEMU in production and heavily rely on '-readconfig',
despite knowing some of its shortcomings.  There might be others out
there.

> Also this means we have a bias against adding new command line options
> to current QEMU.

[...]

--
/kashyap