qemu-devel

Re: Fwd: VirtioSound device emulation implementation

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Fwd: VirtioSound device emulation implementation
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 11:23:17 +0000

Shreyansh Chouhan <chouhan.shreyansh2702@gmail.com> writes:

> Just a follow up.
> Still working on device initialization. I am trying to understand the
> relation between virtio-net and net device in qemu
> in hopes of recreating something similar with the audio device.

All QEMU devices have two parts, a frontend (which the guest sees) and a
backend (which is how the data gets to somewhere in the host). Some of
the command line options in QEMU elide the details for convenience (-nic
and -drive are examples). The -netdev device is all about configuring
the backend of the network part for a paired -device front end. There is
a similar setup for audio (-audiodev) although I'll defer to Gerd's
expertise on how the two interact.

> Once I have
> the device initialization part
> ready I will send in a couple of patches for review.

Good stuff.

--
Alex Bennée