qemu-devel

Re: 9pfs developers docs

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: Re: 9pfs developers docs
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 12:30:52 +0100

On Montag, 1. Februar 2021 10:24:26 CET Greg Kurz wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 19:23:52 +0100
>
> Christian Schoenebeck <qemu_oss@crudebyte.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> > I started setting up some developer documentation for 9pfs:
> >     https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/9p
> >
> > Still quite a bunch that should be added (e.g. there should be a section
> > about threads and coroutines), but at least it's a start ...
>
> I agree that a bunch of other things should be documented, but that's
> definitely a great start. Thanks for doing this !
>
> Just one remark on the topology diagram:
>
> https://wiki.qemu.org/File:9pfs_topology.png
>
> It gives the impression that the 9p transport and server can
> handle multiple guests, which they certainly don't : each
> 9p server lives in exactly one device which is exposed to
> exactly one guest.

Right, I haven't considered that the diagram might be interpreted that way. My
primary intention was to show the 3 main components of 9pfs from design
perspective and secondary showing that multiple guests can share storage.

So what would be better: a) duplicating the server side in the diagram (then
the image might become a bit large in height), b) dropping the multiple
guests, c) making the issue with server instances clear in the text?

If there are other things that you might think should be outlined by
additional diagram(s) let me know, then I can add that in one rush.

--

BTW I'm no longer able to run the 'local' 9p tests, --slow doesn't work for
me. If you don't have an idea what I might be missing, then I have to look why

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck